Minot DUI Attorney
Protect Yourself from Serious DUI Penalties in North Dakota
Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a serious crime in the State of North Dakota. Each year thousands of accidents are attributed to intoxicated drivers and many of these drivers find themselves in jail, facing steep fines, and unable to drive because of license revocation. Though you should never drive after consuming drugs or alcohol, mistakes can happen. If you are arrested for driving while under the influence you still have rights and Rowenhorst Law works hard to protect them.
Call our Minot DUI lawyer for the help you need. We can be reached at .
DUI Penalties in North Dakota
The state of North Dakota gives harsh penalties for DUI convictions depending on the number of prior DUI offenses that occurred within the previous seven years. With this in mind, the judge will then decide the amount of jail time and the amount of the fine.
Possible ND DUI Penalties:
- For a first offense, you could face up to 30 days in jail as well as $500 to $1,500 fines
- If charged with a second offense, you could face 10 to 30 days in jail with a $1,500 fine
- For a third offense, you could face 120 to 360 days in jail with a $2,000 to $3,000 fine
Certain circumstances can elevate a DUI from a misdemeanor charge to a felony. Three of the aggravating factors include:
- DUI with Injury – DUI with an injury can be charged as a class C felony. You could face 1-5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000
- DUI with Fatalities – If a death occurs as a result of DUI, this crime can be charged as a class A felony. You could face 3 to 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $20,000
- Minor passengers – If a minor is in the vehicle while driving under the influence, it can be charged as a class C felony. You could face 5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000
Alternatives to Impaired Driving in North Dakota
If you have consumed drugs or alcohol you should not drive. If you anticipate that you will be using drugs or alcohol arrange for someone else to get you home safely.
You will also want to consider some of the following options:
- Minot public transportation: The City of Minot provides publicly supported transportation that may be available at reduced or no cost.
- Shared car services: Shared car services, such as Lyft and Uber, are growing in popularity and are affordable alternatives to impaired driving.
- Taxi services: Traditional taxi services are also available in Minot and they remain a safe and cost-effective mode of transportation.
Let Rowenhorst Law Defend You
If you have been arrested on a DUI charge in North Dakota, contact our Minot criminal defense lawyer immediately at to discuss your rights. At Rowenhorst Law, we provide you with the compassionate and dedicated legal services that you deserve.
Facing DUI penalties in North Dakota? For a free 30-minute consultation, contact us today. We look forward to helping you work through the complex legal process.